What is the population of Ireland?
The population of Ireland is approximately 4.5 million which includes a sizeable multi-ethnic communities.

What is the climate like?
Ireland enjoys a temperate climate influenced by the relatively warm waters of the Gulf Stream in whose path the island lies. During the winter months temperatures rarely drop below freezing and snow is uncommon. Summer temperatures generally range from 60°F/15°C to 70°F/20°C. Spring and autumn are generally 50°F/10°C. Winter is between 40°F/5°C and 46°F/8°C. Snow is rare, but showers can occur at any time of the year.

Could you tell us more about student living expenses in Ireland?
Living expenses will differ depending upon the location of the higher education institution, the type of accommodation preferred and on the personal expenditure of the student. To give some idea of the total cost involved, the following approximate figures - at 2010 rates - are given as a guide to overall expenses. On average we estimate that a student will spend between 7,500 and 12,000 per year depending on location and lifestyle.

Could you tell us about health system in Ireland?
Ireland's health system is run by regional health boards which are all centrally controlled by the Department of Health and Children. Free medical care is available for those on low incomes and hospital services are available for reasonable costs for those on higher incomes.Visits to a General Practitioner costs about 45.00-60.00.

What about health insurance for students attending higher education institutions?
EU Students
Under EU/EEA regulations, students from other member states who are attending a course of study are entitled to free hospital services, if they have Form E.109 with them. In order to be eligible you will be required to provide the Irish health authorities with documentation from your home country that validates your entitlement. You should therefore contact the Health Authority in your home country, in advance of travelling to Ireland, to fulfil any registration requirements and to obtain the necessary forms that you will need. From 1st June 2004 the E111 and a number of other 'E' forms (i.e. E128) have been replaced by a new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC must be obtained in the home country before departure. (www.epha.org/a/1333)
Non EU Students
Students from non-EU countries are not covered for any free medical attention off-campus and must therefore have their own private insurance.
Non-EU students are required to show proof of comprehensive medical insurance when registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Proof of health insurance is also required when applying for a student visa.
Students are strongly advised to arrange insurance for private medical care as this ensures choice of hospital, doctor and hospital accommodation in the event of illness. It is possible to obtain private medical insurance from the Voluntary Health Insurance Board (VHI), Hibernian Health or from Quinn Healthcare to cover private medical care.

Can I work while I am studying in Ireland?
It is permissible for Degree Programme students to engage in casual employment where they are
 Registered with Stamp 2 permission
 Enrolled in a course listed on the Internationalisation Register
 Attending a full time course of education at or above NFQ Level 7
 Undertaking a full time course for a minimum of 25 weeks per annum
 In a course of at least one year's duration
 Pursuing a course leading to a qualification recognised by the Minister for Education and Skills
Casual employment is defined as up to a maximum of 20 hours part-time per week during the academic semester, or full time work (up to 40 hours per week) during normal college holiday periods.

Can I work for more than 20 hours per week during term time?
NO. This will breach the conditions attached to your permission. Any breach of the conditions attached to permission to remain in Ireland as a student will be taken very seriously by the immigration authorities.

Can I conduct business or be self-employed?
No. This will breach the conditions attached to your permission.

Can I work full-time in a permanent job while I am studying in Ireland?
No. This will breach the conditions attached to your permission.

Could you tell us more about Institutes of Technology in Ireland?
The qualifications awarded by HETAC are internationally recognised by academic, professional, trade and craft bodies. In addition, most colleges also have courses leading directly to the examinations of the many professional institutes.

Could you tell us more about English language requirements for student visa applications?
The list below indicates the minimum standards in English language which should be met.

                 Examination                                              Level required

Irish Leaving Certificate in English Ordinary level Grade D
GCSE English Language Grade C
GCE O-Level English Language Grade C
University of Cambridge Pass in use of english Examination
TOEFL 220 (computer based test) 550 (paper based test)
IELTS Composite score of 6.5 with not less than 6.0 in any one component
Cambridge Proficiency Grade C
Cambridge Advanced Grade A
ARELS oral examinations Pass
ETAPP Grade C1

NOTE: Information under this category has been supported by various private and public educational bodies.

Latest Articles

Contact Us

Education State
23 Marlborough St,
Dublin 1, Ireland

00 353 892 236605
00 353 831 118541 (Accommodation)

We are here to help!